Players decide on their own set of rules before each game. There are no official carpetball rules.. People who claim to know the real rules of carpet ball are like people who say they know the official rules of dominoes because, "that is how MY grandma played the game". Here are the carpetball rules we usually use:
Common carpetball rules
1. Each player sets up 5 pool balls within reach of their end of the table according to the agreed upon carpetball set up style.
2. The player to make the first throw of the cue ball is determined by the following hierarchy
3. You win a carpetball game by knocking all of your opponent's balls in to the pit at the end of the table. When all of a player's balls are knocked in, they get one final throw to tie the match regardless of who had the first throw.
4. In the event of a tie, each player places one ball back on the table in the agreed upon pattern and the tie breaker match continues with alternating throws. If there is still a tie, then 2 balls are placed on each end of the carpetball table, then 3 balls, etc, etc, until there is a winner.
5. A player automatically looses the carpetball game for any of the following infractions
6. If you knock your own ball out of position (with your body or the cue ball), the ball stays in its new location unless it goes beyond the centerline. If you knock your own ball beyond the carpet ball table centerline, it is placed in the pit and taken out of play.
7. You may not touch the cue ball until it comes to a complete stop or lands in the pit.
8. You don't get a re-throw of the cue ball regardless of how far it travels down the table.
Here are some ways you can change the rules and add some variety to your carpetball games.
Carpet ball rules and variations of carpetball games are limited only by your imagination.
As the popularity of carpetball grows, someone will take it upon themselves to start some bureaucratic organization to set standards of play and to govern the game of carpetball. We of course, will continue to ignore them and choose our own rules each time we play. This keeps the game fun.
Start out using the common carpetball rules listed above. Then, invent your own carpetball rules to keep the game interesting. It's your game, play it how you want.
copyright - carpetball.net